This course is great fun and will introduce you to kayaking on lakes and rivers. A six day course run over three weekends which will give you a thorough grounding in basic kayaking skills. You will be introduced to all the equipment and basic skills on rivers and lakes with plenty of opportunies for coaching and progression in moving water.
Who is it for?
This course is for anyone who would like a safe and enjoyable introduction to the sport of kayaking. You may have a little experience, or none at all. As with any active sport, a reasonable level of general fitness will enable more rapid and enjoyable progress
Maximum Ratio: 1:6
Minimum Course Number 4
Initially we will concentrate upon developing good paddling technique and water confidence using lakes and rivers. We will then develop your confidence on moving water building to running simple rapids and wave chains. On the course we will look at:
Basic kayaking strokes
- Equipment, clothing and safety
- basic paddling skills – including: forward paddling, stopping, reverse paddling, turning, sideways movement
- Capsize, wet exits and rescues
- Use of high/low brace support strokes
- Ferry gliding
- Breaking in/out of the flow
- Reading white water
- Running rapids
- Use of throw lines
- How to deal with a swim on moving water
- River trip awareness and safety
The course will include two full day river trips on grade 1-2 water.